Thursday, June 23, 2005

Media Ecology & Values in Design: A Combined Approach to Understanding the Biases of Media Technology

I will presenting my paper "Media Ecology & Values in Design: A Combined Approach to Understanding the Biases of Media Technology" at the 6th Annual Convention of the Media Ecology Association at Fordham University today. The abstract:
In recent years, a field known as Values in Design has emerged to identify, understand, anticipate and address the ethical and value biases of media and information technologies. Upon developing a dialectical model of how bias exists in technology, this paper makes a case for the dual relevance of Value Sensitive Design to Media Ecology. I argue that bringing the two approaches together would be mutually beneficial, resulting in richer investigations into the biases in media technology.
The paper can be downloaded here, and my slide presentation here.
UPDATE: I was recognized Friday evening by the Media Ecology Association with the "Linda Elson Scholar Award for Top Student Paper." This is quite an honor, given that I heard many excellent student papers over the course of the 5-day conference. Thanks, MEA!

Technorati tag: